[Gluster-devel] New release of lsgvt

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Sun Dec 30 12:51:07 UTC 2012

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 10:40:57AM +0100, Fred van Zwieten wrote:
> Jan,
>
> I'm a newby when it comes to git. What are 'git tags'?

The commit that marks your 0.2 version can be tagged. This makes it
easier for anyone to checkout the version without missing or additional
changes.

For example:

1. create a tag
$ git tag lsgvt-0.2 f92699c645
(f92699c645 is the last commit you made in github)

2. push the tag to the remote origin (like your github repo)
$ git push --tags origin

3. checkout the 0.2 release on a different machine
$ git clone git://github.com/fvzwieten/lsgvt.git
$ cd lsgvt
$ git checkout lsgvt-0.2

And 'git tag --help' shows some more options and details.

Cheers,
Niels