[Gluster-devel] File integrity and consistency in geo-replication

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Wed Dec 19 22:12:52 UTC 2012

On 12/19/2012 12:57 PM, Natale Vinto wrote:
> I saw the Server Quorum feature for the next version, I was wondering
> if it is the one from the Duvvuri theory and if could be useful for
> that case killing unconsistent bricks.

I hadn't heard of Duvvuri, and all I could find in a quick search was a couple
of old papers about adaptive leasing.  Do you have any other references?  The
server quorum feature allows us to avoid inconsistency from writes done without
local quorum, but has practically no effect on geo-replication.  What are your
expectations about quorum and consistency in a wide-area environment?

> And, what about using Hadoop with the Gluster connector?

Um . . . it works?  Not sure what you're getting at here.

> I think that this work would require a massive study and testing (for
> me at least!), but it would be very nice do this research trying to
> get an international cultural needing working thanks to a big
> opensource project, "in perpetuum" :)

I agree.  It would definitely be good for us to understand what your needs are
with respect to consistency or data integrity, and discuss how our modular
architecture might allow us to add features that address those needs.