[Gluster-devel] Feature page on Volume lifecycle extensions (aka Hooks)

Deepak C Shetty deepakcs at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Aug 29 07:51:34 UTC 2012

On 08/28/2012 06:02 PM, krish wrote:
> On 08/27/2012 01:42 PM, Deepak C Shetty wrote:
>> On 08/24/2012 11:56 AM, Krishnan Parthasarathi wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> The following wiki page provides detailed information on "Volume
>>> life cycle extensions"
>>> or more fondly referred to as Hooks. Hooks are scripts/executables
>>> that would
>>> be run on the trigger of events like volume-start, volume-stop, etc.
>>> This allows admin
>>> to customise her volume 'deployment' work-flow. Of course it is not
>>> arbitrarily expressive/powerful
>>> yet.
>>>
>>> http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/Hooks
>>
>> This (conceptually) is similar to hooks provided by oVirt/VDSM. I
>> have a naive Q tho'
>> How to enable/disable a hook for a particular volume  ? Is it that if
>> i don't set any key=value for a particular volume, the hook won't
>> come into action. In other words hooks will use key=value to
>> determine what they need to do ?
> Scripts whose name begin with 'S' are enabled and anything else would
> be disabled
> I have updated the wiki with the answer to your question. Thanks for
> asking!
> (See
> http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/Hooks#Detailed_Description)

Hmm, still not clear. Let me reword my Q.
Scripts that are enabled are not tied to a particular volume, rite ?
Assuming that, if a script is enabled, then it would run/invoke for all
volumes. How do i control the running of a script at the volume level ?
Say i need to run a script for all volume except one.. how do i control
that ?