[Gluster-devel] FW: Change in glusterfs[master]: Add support for --enable-debug configure option

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 15:01:42 UTC 2012

On 08/16/2012 10:36 AM, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
> On 08/16/2012 10:32 AM, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
>>
>> But note that for RPMs anyway, everything _is_ actually compiled with
>> -g; the debug symbols are stripped from the binaries after the debuginfo
>> RPM is produced. Off hand I'm not sure there's a lot of value in adding
>> and --enable-debug option — just install the debuginfo RPMs instead if
>> you want to debug.
>>

> Obviously that only applies if you're building or installing from RPMs.

FYI, I always build from RPMs but I disable the whole separate-debuginfo part
(which I and AFAICT most developers find obnoxious).  There are many formulae
out there to do this, but in case anyone's curious here's what I have in my
.rpmmacros:

%__arch_install_post   /usr/lib/rpm/check-rpaths   /usr/lib/rpm/check-buildroot
%__strip /bin/true
%debug_package %{nil}

Back to the topic, "just install the debuginfo RPMs instead if you want to
debug" seems to be about -g whereas the real change here is to do with -O0 vs.
-O2 (vs. nothing).  Regardless of whether debug symbols are built in or
available in a separate package, trying to debug code that was built with -O2
is kind of annoying.  Having an easy way to configure with -O0, that works the
same way across .rpm and .deb and .tar builds, seems worthwhile.

--

ObSig: if you use "ask" as a noun I will ignore you for a week.