[Gluster-devel] Feedback on CLI message outputs

Amar Tumballi amarts at redhat.com
Mon Aug 6 07:01:35 UTC 2012

Hi All,

We are in the process of improving our log messages, and message outputs
through CLI. As a first step, we want to make sure our CLI outputs are
both meaningful and script friendly (for people who want to use the CLI
output in their scripts).

We are taking few baby steps in this regard in upstream (master branch).
I recently sent a patch http://review.gluster.com/3753 which tries to
separate out most of the error messages by outputting it to stderr
instead of stdout.

In the meantime, I tried to keep it script friendly too. With that patch
going in, the problem is, if any of you have written scripts which greps
for specific pattern in the CLI output, will be broken when the next
major release happens.

So, I want your feed back on getting it right by involving you all to
make the messages more friendlier to both script writers, and also to
admins who would understand the messages properly. (ie, meaning of the
messages should be unambiguous).

To try to see the difference in CLI outputs, you need to checkout git
repo, and build locally, as there are no releases available at the moment.

Thanks and Regards,
Amar