[Gluster-devel] Disabling non-syslog logging

Ian Latter ian.latter at midnightcode.org
Wed Apr 18 04:32:14 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
>From: "Amar Tumballi" <amar at gluster.com>
>To: "Ian Latter" <ian.latter at midnightcode.org>
>Subject:  Re: [Gluster-devel] Disabling non-syslog logging
>Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 09:16:05 +0530
>

> > > can you try 'gluster volume set <VOLNAME> client-log-level
> > NONE' ?
> > >

> > Thanks for the suggestion;
> >
> >  Running this (glusterfs v3.2.6) works (logs a succeed
> > message) but the bricks continue to accrue client
> > connection notices. There is also still the .cmd-history
> > log amongst other files.
> >
> >  Note that the objective here is no log files at all;
i.e. at
> > the moment if the directory /var/log/glusterfs is not
> > created gluster fails to run.  This was not the behaviour
> > under the older architecture, when "-l /dev/null" was
> > specified ..
> >

> > Oops,
>
> then try
>
> bash# gluster volume set <VOLNAME> brick-log-level NONE
>
> and see if there are no logs now...

Okay;

  So my startup sequence is now;
    /sbin/gluster --mode=script volume create testvol [...]
    /sbin[...] volume set testvol client-log-level NONE
    /sbin[...] volume set testvol brick-log-level NONE
    /sbin[...] volume start testvol

  There are still log files being created in
/var/log/glusterfs/bricks/, but they look like they stop
logging after initialisation.  I.e. there's some init info
followed by the vol file and then nothing after that, in
each log file.

Thanks for this info - its good info - you guys should
add it to the public administration docco;

http://download.gluster.com/pub/gluster/glusterfs/3.2/Documentation/AG/html/chap-Administration_Guide-Troubleshooting.html#id698380

Cheers,

--
Ian Latter