[Gluster-devel] [RFC] Improved distribution

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 15:54:33 UTC 2012

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 08:33:06 -0700
Anand Avati <anand.avati at gmail.com> wrote:

> The parent directory's textual path is not part of the hash
> computation, but it causes a different hash-range map in the inode
> layout and effectively a different server is picked up for the same
> basename in different directories.

That's basically a rotation, isn't it?  In other words, the same ranges
will be used, but assigned to ABC for one directory and then BCA or CAB
on others?  That's how I interpret dht_fix_layout_of_directory and
dht_selfheal_layout_alloc_start, anyway.  That should be sufficient to
avoid the particular problem Edward mentioned, but doesn't completely
solve some of the other problems around load distribution and data
migration.