[Gluster-devel] Disabling non-syslog logging

Ian Latter ian.latter at midnightcode.org
Fri Apr 13 10:06:09 UTC 2012

Hello,

  Until yesterday all of my experiments with Gluster have
been with a vi'd vol file and the Glusterfsd process.
Michael and I have now done testing with glusterd under
Gluster version 3.2.6 and this has raised some issues.
The one I'd like to query in this thread is disabling non-
syslog logging.

  In the older architecture you can kick off glusterfsd
with the "-l /dev/null" parameter to disable non-syslog
logging.

  However, under the newer architecture the glusterd
starts the glusterfs client and glusterfsd server
processes, so while starting glusterd with the
"-l /dev/null" parameter does disable non-syslog
logging for the glusterd process, it does not disable
the non-syslog logging for the processes that it starts.
The gluster logging controls seem to be limited to log
rotation and log location (which is a directory and not
a file, unfortunately).

  I could mitigate this by creating wrapper scripts for
glusterfs and glusterfsd, but I'd prefer not to.

  Is there an administrative way to disable non-syslog
logging for all glusterd child processes?

Thanks,

--
Ian Latter
Late night coder ..