[Gluster-devel] Build for NetBSD and FreeBSD

Emmanuel Dreyfus manu at netbsd.org
Fri Apr 13 01:54:34 UTC 2012

Franz Schober <franz.schober at firmos.at> wrote:

> On NetBSD I got a working binary package for 3.2.5, compiling the source
> package 3.2.5 ist not working, I don't see the NetBSD ifdefs in the code
> (e.g. libglusterfs/src/compat.h:#ifdef __NetBSD__).

There are many patches to get it building on 3.2 branch:
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/filesystems/glusterfs/patches/

Obviously the path of least resistance if you want to build yourself is to
fetch NetBSD's pkgsrc.tar.gz, go in pkgsrc/filesystems/glusterfs and type
make install.

Note that you need latest netbsd-5 or netbsd-6 branch kernel. There has
not been any formal release with kernel support yet. You can pick a binary
kernel from NetBSD daily build if you do not want to rebuild. As usual
with NetBSD, a newer kernel will work fine with an older userland from a
formal release so you do not need to update anything else than the kernel.

> I read work on 3.3 for NetBSD is in progress, so I didn't continue here.

glusterfs 3.3 contains almost all the patches mentioned above (notable
exception is GNU basename_r that has been rejected).

> For FreeBSD, I started withe 3.3Beta2 and managed to get the source
> building without any FUSE parts, gluster cli crashed on every second
> command and glusterd on peer probe =>  I stopped here.

Despite ifdefs in the code, FreeBSD is not supported by glusterfs.

> But at first I would like to build a working 3.2.x on NetBSD and
> after that step continuing on FreeBSD to get a working 3.2.x build,
> continuing with the head afterwards ...

Except if someone steps up and do significant work, you can forget about
running it on FreeBSD.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
http://hcpnet.free.fr/pubz