[Gluster-devel] DHT-based Replication

Ian Latter ian.latter at midnightcode.org
Tue Nov 22 06:25:07 UTC 2011

Hello,

  I think what you're describing is functionally equivalent
to the Google File System;
    http://labs.google.com/papers/gfs.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_File_System

  And, by comparable design, Hadoop File System;

http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r0.20.0/hdfs_design.html

  Google/Hadoop FS framed a set of principles that I
(and a friend of mine - Michael Welton) were hoping to
achieve by moving to GlusterFS - and I think it will still
get us all the way there once we get IPSEC underneath
it and it deals with WANs better.

  In that context, I'm a fan already :)

  However, I would like to add that if you're going to go
to the trouble of providing a hashed-block abstraction
layer, that you make it pluggable.  I.e.  before I was taken
ill in September 2009 I was looking at implementing a
de-dupe block for GlusterFS.  Another friend (Chris
Kelada) and I came up with a full de-dupe model one
evening which I thought was quite simple.  What stalled
me before I fell ill was an issue with descriptors that may
have been fixed during the BSD porting activity that I saw
on this list a week or two ago.
  De-dupe needs a hash for a chunk of data.  What we
proposed was an arbitrary sized chunk (say 1Mbyte)
hashed, then stored in the underlying layer via its hash -
i.e. if my block hashed to "thisismyhash" then it would be
stored in /.dedupe/thi/sis/myh/ash/data.bin with provision
for an index to allow multiple blocks of the same hash to
co-exist at the same location (i.e. either n x chunk_size
offset into the data file, or n data files).

  This would have a high read/write performance penalty
(lots of iops in the underlying layer per iop in the de-dupe
layer) but it reaps the obvious space benefit.

  Thus if a data hashing block were to be forged, its re-
application could be quite broad - but only if considered
beforehand; then I'd be all for it.

Cheers,