[Gluster-devel] Why to fork so many times?

Pavan T C tcp at gluster.com
Tue Jun 7 09:14:23 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 07 June 2011 02:08 PM, Daniel wrote:
> Thank you, Pavan. It clarifies most of my doubts.
>
> Only I can't find the branch of 'if sync-mtab == 1'. And I thought it
> was without "YES fork()". Could you explain more about that, please?

Oh, the variable mtab_pid is what indicates whether the sync-mtab option
is set or not. Trace back the caller of fuse_mnt_add_mount(). The call
stack looks like below;

fuse_bridge.c:init() -> gf_fuse_mount() -> fuse_mount_sys() ->
fuse_mnt_add_mount().

In gf_fuse_mount(), the last parameter is passed as :
sync_mtab ? &ctx->mtab_pid : NULL
So, if the "sync-mtab" option is set, mtab_pid will be non-NULL.
Otherwise it will be NULL.

Now you can relate back to the condition in fuse_mnt_add_mount().
If mtab_pid is NULL, the "NO" condition in the flow-chart I provided
comes into picture. Otherwise the code follows the YES condition.

Pavan