[Gluster-devel] Re-exporting NFS to vmware

沈允中 kimula at cht.com.tw
Thu Jan 6 11:52:26 UTC 2011

Hi,
Thanks for the advice.
My problem is just like you said.
But is there any alternative way that I can solve my problem?
Because vmware really doesn't have the glusterfs protocol to mount.
I know that the Gluster.com may publish their VMStor product to improve this.
However, to tell the truth, I don't want to spend money.......:p

If the problem cannot be solved now, does anyone know other file systems which are similar to Gluster so that I can mount by nfs protocol without losing performance?
Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Sylar Shen

Sylar wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I wanted to use GlusterFS as a share storage to connect with vmware.
>
> But the nfs protocol had a poor performance when the scalability got
> larger.(I have 20 servers as a GlusterFS)
>
> So I figured out a way when I saw the wiki of Ceph
>
> http://ceph.newdream.net/wiki/Re-exporting_NFS
>

> I think that I can add a middle-converter between vmware and GlusterFS.
>
> It can connect with vmware by nfs and mount GlusterFS by glusterfs.
>
> Here is the architecture I thought.......
>
> And then I had a problem. The middle-tier is OK to connect with
> GlusterFS by glusterfs protocol.
>
> But the errors happened when vmware connects with middle-tier by nfs
> protocol.
>
> The vmware cannot mount middle-tier by nfs at the first time.
>
> Even if vmware can mount the middle-tier by nfs, it cannot see the data
> in the GlusterFS.
>
> It can only see the data(directory) in the middle-tier
>

> Does anyone have the same problem as I ?
>
> How do you solve this thorny problem?

Are you saying you are mounting GlusterFS on an interim node, and then
re-exporting that via NFS? What are you using for the NFS export? Last I
checked kernel nfsd didn't work with fuse based file systems, so you'd
have to use something like unfsd (user-space) instead. You may, however,
find that if you do that, the extra performance hit from unfsd will undo
most of the speed-up you are hoping to achieve.

Gordan