[Gluster-devel] Client memory footprint

Emmanuel Dreyfus manu at netbsd.org
Wed Aug 24 09:50:45 UTC 2011

Pavan T C <tcp at gluster.com> wrote:

> The glusterfs server process uses iomem pools. Initially, it starts with
> one pool. Under memory pressure, it allocates more, but does not give
> back the pool when the pressure decreases. It can be debated whether
> this is a bug, but one can come up with heuristics to free the pool.

I was concerned about machines with little memory. It would be nice to
have the ability to tell glusterfsd to avoid eating too much memory for
performances: if you do not have that memory, you clearly prefer to have
poor performance than to have a crash.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
http://hcpnet.free.fr/pubz