[Gluster-devel] ping timeout

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Mar 23 19:23:23 UTC 2010

On 18/03/2010 16:59, Christopher Hawkins wrote:
> I see what you mean. Hopefully that behavior is fixed in 3.0. Though in my case, I would still like fast disconnect because the data mirror is active / passive. There should be no problems for glusterfs to figure out which side has the new data because only one server will be receiving writes at any given time.

I'm not an active Glusterfs user yet, but what worries me about gluster
is this very casual attitude to split brain...  Other cluster solutions
take outages extremely seriously to the point they fence off the downed
server until it's guaranteed back into a synchronised state...

The issue is that once the servers diverge you are just asking for some
circumstance which will cause the older file to be served (causing data
loss).  Simple scenario is that one server goes down, files update on
the second server, then first server comes back up and second server
goes down, result is out of date files being served...

Once a machine has gone down then it should be fenced off and not be
allowed to serve files again until it's fully synced - otherwise you are
just asking for a set of circumstances (however, unlikely) to cause the
out of date data to be served...

A superb solution would be for the replication tracker to actually log
and mark dirty anything it can't fully replicate. When the replication
partner comes back up these could then be treated as a priority sync
list to get the servers back up to date?

Ed W