[Gluster-devel] Any feedback on performance when migrating from 1gige to 10gbps infiniband?

Nathan Stratton nathan at robotics.net
Wed Mar 17 18:11:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010, Gordan Bobic wrote:

> Have you done testing with 1Gb networking? Do your storage boxes have enough
> CPU resource to handle a 10x increase in bandwidth? What about disk I/O?
> You'll need some pretty fat storage nodes to justify going to 10Gb.

Actually, we have picked up all our 10 gig infiniband gear on ebay for an
avg of $1K for a 24 port switch, $35 for dual port cards, and $20 for
cables. At that rate it has been easy to justify 10 gig infiniband. The
latency improvements are significant.

><>
Nathan Stratton                                CTO, BlinkMind, Inc.
nathan at robotics.net                         nathan at blinkmind.com
http://www.robotics.net                        http://www.blinkmind.com