[Gluster-devel] successive bonnie++ tests taking longer and longer to run (system load steadily increasing)

Daniel Maher dma+gluster at witbe.net
Tue Mar 2 09:30:39 UTC 2010

Daniel Maher wrote:
> Raghavendra G wrote:
>>
>>     However, at two points during the multi-day test run, something
>>     strange happened.  The time to completion dropped _dramatically_,
>>     and stayed there for numerous iterations, before jumping back up
>> again :
>>

>> Mostly reads are being served from io-cache?
>
> Perhaps ; it is worth noting that even though the operations are
> consistent, the data are being generated randomly.  I concede that,
> statistically speaking, some of those 0's and 1's would be cached
> effectively, but this shouldn't account for a sudden ~ 50% increase in
> efficiency that, just as suddenly as it appears, disappears again.
>
> While it is irresponsible to extrapolate based on three points, my
> newest test run with io-cache disabled has yielded 10m30s, 10m36s, and
> 10m34s so far...

After hundreds of iterations the average « real » time per run was
10m25.522s .  This was with io-cache totally disabled.

Thus, it has been shown that given a series of systematic read and write
operations on progressively larger files filled with random data, the
usage of io-cache is not appropriate (and will cause severe performance
problems).

Of course, one could have postulated this intuitively - but there's
nothing like some hard data to back up a hypothesis. :)

The real mystery is why the test with a small io-cache yielded two
groups of highly varient TTCs...

--
Daniel Maher <dma+gluster AT witbe DOT net>