[Gluster-devel] Re: [Gluster-users] I/O fair share to avoid I/O bottlenecks on small clsuters

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Sun Jan 31 13:52:27 UTC 2010

Traffic shaping with tc and iptables are your friends. ;)
Of course, if you are genuinely running out of bandwidth nothing will
solve the lack of bandwidth, but if you merely need to make sure it is
distributed more fairly and sensibly between the machines, it can be done.

Typically I would put each guest VM into a class limited to 50% of the
host bandwidth, and put them at equal priority, with a few packet
scheduling tweaks (e.g. prioritizing small packets, ACKs, ssh, ping,
etc.) That way the network I/O can be kept responsive, while no one VM
would be allowed to eat all the available bandwidth.

Gordan