[Gluster-devel] Multiple NFS Servers (Gluster NFS in 3.x, unfsd, knfsd, etc.)

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 7 17:57:52 UTC 2010

--- On Thu, 1/7/10, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:

> Shehjar Tikoo wrote:
> > Gordan Bobic wrote:
> wrote:
> > > I don't think it would be wasted if it
> > > includes NLM since unfsd does not do locking!
> >
> > It does not do decent security either. One of our
> > goals is to implement kerberos5 based authentication. We also
> > want to support NFS over RDMA and NFSACLs. For extending to
> > these, unfsd code is highly limiting.
>
> So why exactly use NFS instead of GlusterFS with
> server-side brick assembly? What is the advantage? I cannot
> see one either in terms of performance or functionality.
> This is what I would be using if I could get that setup to
> work without bugginess (e.g. bug 186) and crashing (see
> other emails on this thread, will try to re-create and
> provide backtraces).

The last time I evaluated GlusterFS, it did not support
graceful server disconnection/rebooting (i.e. clients with
open files will see errors instead of blocking).  While it
would be awesome of this were simply "fixed" at the
GlusterFS level, if the NFS xlator provides this
functionality it would be a big win.  This feature is the
single feature keeping me from using GlusterFS to this
day.  I look forward to either of theses solutions so that
I could use GlusterFS,

-Martin