[Gluster-devel] Multiple NFS Servers (Gluster NFS in 3.x, unfsd, knfsd, etc.)

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Thu Jan 7 12:37:19 UTC 2010

Shehjar Tikoo wrote:

> The answer to that lies in another question, "why would anyone use
> a standardized NFS over GlusterFS?"
>
> Here are three points from pnfs.com on why:
> 1. Ensures Interoperability among vendor solutions
> 2. Allows Choice of best-of-breed products
> 3. Eliminates Risks of deploying proprietary technology

Argument 3 is largely shot down by the fact that "proprietary
technology" is still deployed on the server side. In my experience with
large, change-resistant entities the difficulty is in getting something
approved for use in the first place. Once you get it approved for the
back end, the front end isn't nearly as difficult.

And besides, the risk is all down to the implementation and the maturity
thereof, not the protocol itself. Deploying a new, immature NFS server
is no more risky than deploying a different, equally immature protocol
stack.

> I'll add a fourth one:
> Familiarity of the protocol, is very important, especially
> in the storage world, where conservatism is preferred over
> fancy technology. NFS has been tried and tested over 2 decades.

But not backed by a proprietary file system that has only been around
for a short time. These arguments are not in the full context. You are,
in effect, saying that the NFS client itself won't have to be debugged,
when you are in fact adding an additional layer of complexity to debug
where it is most counter-productive. There is still the glusterfs client
to debug underneath on the server side, only it is now glazed over by
the NFS export translator. The conservatism you mention is there for one
reason alone - stability; and I don't see how it can possibly be argued
that adding another layer of complexity would somehow aid stability.

I accept that there is no counter-argument against "paying customers
absolutely, explicitly want this feature" - I'm merely questioning the
purely technical aspect of the approach.

Gordan