[Gluster-devel] Gluster health/status

Raghavendra G raghavendra at gluster.com
Tue Feb 23 04:20:18 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Here is some work related to Health monitoring. glfs-health.sh is a shell
script to check the health of glusterfs.
http://git.gluster.com/?p=users/avati/glfs-health.git;a=blob_plain;f=glfs-health.sh;hb=5bf3cb50452525f545018fa5f8eed06cb2fbbe7d

Documentation can be found from
http://git.gluster.com/?p=users/avati/glfs-health.git;a=blob_plain;f=README;hb=5bf3cb50452525f545018fa5f8eed06cb2fbbe7d

We welcome improvements and discussions on this.

regards,
2010/2/23 Harald Stürzebecher <haralds at cs.tu-berlin.de>

> 2010/2/22 Samuel Hassine <samuel.hassine at gmail.com>:
> > I'm also looking for a way to monitor gluster nodes.
> >
> > Any solutions ?
> >
> > Le lundi 22 février 2010 à 10:12 +0500, Anton a écrit :
> >> Hello!
> >>

> >> I'm looking for the way to determine the health of the GLUSTER
> >> cluster. Is there any way to determine if any of the nodes failed? In
> >> the log files it is possible to grep that there is "remotexx:
> >> disconnected" - but it is not sutable for monitoring. There should be
> >> the simple way to just query the cluster against the .vol file and
> >> see, if any node/brick failed to attach and so trigger the alarm. Is
> >> there anything like "gluster --reporthealth"?
>
> Checking if a connection to the GlusterFS TCP server port (6996 IIRC)
> is possible might be an indicator for working/failing - at least for
> setups that use TCP. I don't know if anything like that is possible
> for Infiniband-only setups.
>
> IIRC, Nagios can check if a port is open on a remote machine. That
> won't find something like disk/filesystem problems on the server, but
> it could report crashed GlusterFS server processes and machines that
> are not working at all.
>
> I know that this simple method won't provide a positive status (=it
> works) which would be preferable, but at least it can provide a
> negative status (=_something_ failed on _that_ machine) in some cases.
>
> @gluster.org:
> IIRC, some time ago someone requested a syslog feature to debug
> problems with GlusterFS as root filesystem for a diskless cluster -
> are there any news on that?
> Having the clients report problems to a central logging server might
> be useful for monitoring.
>

> Regards,
>
> Harald

Raghavendra G