[Gluster-devel] Spurious disconnections / connectivity loss

Daniel Maher dma+gluster at witbe.net
Mon Feb 1 13:16:37 UTC 2010

Gordan Bobic wrote:

> That's hardly unexpected. If you are using client-side replicate, I'd
> expect to see the bandwidth requirements multiply with the number of
> replicas. For all clustered configurations (not limited to glfs) I use a
> separate LAN for cluster communication to ensure best possible
> throughput/latencies, and specifically in case of glfs, I do server side
> replicate so that the replicate traffic gets offloaded to that private
> cluster LAN, so the bandwidth requirements to the clients can be kept
> down to sane levels.

If you're willing to describe your setup further, i'd love to hear about
it.  I'm currently using client-side replication, and for the reasons of
scalability you described, i'd like to move to a server-side replication
setup.

In particular, i'm interested in how you handle the connectivity between
the clients and the servers vis-à-vis load balancing (if any) and
availability.  For example, in your configuration, how does a given
client « know » which server to speak to, and what happens that server
becomes inaccessible ?

I realise that this may not be necessarily be appropriate discussion for
the devel mailing list, but iirc, you're not on the user list, hence the
reply here.

--
Daniel Maher <dma+gluster AT witbe DOT net>