[Gluster-devel] Workloads for GlusterFS

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Fri Dec 24 08:26:29 UTC 2010

On 12/24/2010 01:53 AM, Mukund Buddhikot wrote:
> Hello Gluster Folks,
>
> One can use dd, iometer, "internal" data sets and OLTP workloads for
> performance testing of GlusterFS.
>
> Is there a "standardized" workload/benchmark for DFS such as GlusterFS..

The ones you mention are "standard" benchmarks. They are mostly useless
for gauging real-world performance. The only worthwhile testing is
testing for your particular application.

But if you really want a "redneck" test, I find kernel-building on a
machine with lots of fast cores with a suitable -j parameter works quite
well. You will need a machine that has enough CPU to saturate the I/O,
though (4+ cores running at 3+ GHz).

Gordan