[Gluster-devel] file-structure

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Wed Aug 11 15:10:25 UTC 2010

On 08/11/2010 03:40 PM, Roland Fischer wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> i have a big question about how to build a good directory and
> file-structure, just to get the best performance out of GlusterFs.I want
> to put a large amount of pictures and videos on the LUN so it´s very
> mixed up between small and large files.There will be about 11TB of Files
> on the Lun.So how many directory’s and subdirectorys are a good value to
> create and how many files am i allowed to put in before GlusterFs is
> slowing down.

I suspect that will probably be more dependant on your underlying file
system. What are you planning to use? ext3? xfs?

In general, though, more than about 1000 entries per directory becomes
difficult to manage, not to mention that ls (especially ls -l, which
requires a stat() call) will start to take forever.

Gordan