[Gluster-devel] Files being cut off in the middle

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Wed Jun 24 10:21:38 UTC 2009

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 09:45:54 +0100, Vidar Hokstad <vidar at hokstad.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a cluster set up with 2.0.1, and when under heavy load I keep
> getting
> files that are getting cut off in the middle (cat [problematic file] on
the
> client will give different/shorter output than doing the same on the
> server)
> When I unmount and mount the client volume again it works fine for a
while,
> so I'm suspecting either the io cache or readahead translators. Is this a
> known problem?

That sounds vaguely familiar. Didn't somebody mention a patch for this
recently?

> If it is a known problem is it fixed in 2.0.2 (which don't compile on two
> of
> the machines in the cluster for me for some reason, but the two
problematic
> ones are really old and messily set up so I'm assuming that's a problem
> with
> their setup - it's kept me from testing 2.0.2 so far, though) or in git?

Compile on a clean build machine and just install the package on the ones
with a broken build environment?

> If it isn't a known problem I'll gather up some more info and do some
more
> work to try to get a newer version working so I can see if it happens on
> 2.0.2 or the git version as well.

I suspect you'll find that glusterfs is still undergoing a sufficiently
rapid development and stabilization process that staying a few versions
back is very counterproductive. In the majority of releases more gets fixed
than broken, so I wouldn't even bother reporting an issue with an older
version unless you have verified that it is still broken in the latest
release (unless it's a regression, i.e. something that used to work but got
broken in a newer version).

Gordan