[Gluster-devel] Migration from Unify to DHT

Markus Gerstner m.gerstner at bmiag.de
Wed Jun 3 12:39:33 UTC 2009

Hello,

has this migration document been posted already? I tried finding it on the
wiki but wasn't successful so far. Is it enough to just use distribute with
"option lookup-unhashed yes"?
Am I right in thinking that the client would then hash a given filename, try
to find it on the mapped server and if that fails, ask all other servers if
they have the given filename in their storage?
Given that neither server nor client store any metadata for DHT, this would
mean that you can never disable this option if there are any files present
which have not been stored using distribute, correct?

"*  lookup-unhashed
This option when provided, will make the dht translator act as a generic
cluster translator where it sends lookup call on all the subvolumes, hence
there will be no files missing over filesystem."
kind of sounds like distribute always sends lookups to all nodes, without even
trying to hash first, hence the questions.

Also, is there any ETA on schedulers for DHT?

Best regards and thanks in advance,
Markus