[Gluster-devel] Performance Translators' Stability and Usefulness - Regression test outline

Geoff Kassel gkassel at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jul 7 21:39:31 UTC 2009

Hi Anand,
   Thanks for the explanation.

   I'm sorry, you'll have to endure my criticism for just a little while
longer, though.

   I've seen your stable/unstable branch tactic before with 1.3 and 1.4/2.x
and it didn't work then. Any stability gained in 1.3 just seemed to be lost
again in 1.4/2.x.

   I highly recommend that you don't branch the code again. What would be best
(although I don't know how commercially viable it is) would be to just freeze
new features for a short while, and get your existing developers to write the
unit and integration tests for the code that they know.

   Or you can follow my plan outlined previously for incremental test case
development. Make every developer perform this important part of the QA
process on their new code, as it's written. (With appropriate oversight and
reviews by the QA team, of course, to prevent under-testing.)

   If you want to earn some trust back in the community, I feel you should
consider putting whatever you have of the regression tests - incomplete or
otherwise - into the public repository now.

   This has the bonus that the community can help you complete these tests.
(With your QA team's approval on each change, of course.) There seems to be a
bit of enthusiasm on the list at the moment for this - you should exploit
that. Get us to do some work for you for nothing :)

   You might want to consider getting your QA team to do a code audit. Fix
what you discover, then audit the resulting patches. (And perhaps prepare to
do one at some regular interval.)

   I've listed some useful tools in previous messages for automatic analysis
if a full code audit is likely to prove too expensive to implement.

   However, if OpenBSD's track record is anything to go by, very little beats
experienced eyeballs on code in terms of issues found before they become
client-affecting bugs.

Geoff.