[Gluster-devel] Performance Translators' Stability and Usefulness - Regression test outline

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Tue Jul 7 18:55:22 UTC 2009

On 07/07/2009 18:24, Jacques Mattheij wrote:

> Another thing we talked about was a simple logging module which
> you can place anywhere in the stack that will log the information
> going up and down without actually doing anything to aid
> debugging. (but this is not actually an automated test tool, just
> a very handy thing to have).

Actually, a full-on logging module that sits at the top-most level would
be extremely useful. If we could log the exact set of fs operations that
causes a bug to manifest (e.g. the Firefox bookmarks bug when /home is
on GlusterFS that I mentioned, which seems to have disappeared with FF
3.0.11, but all previous versions exhibit _only_ on GlusterFS), then
this would make is really easy to produce a test case that could be used
to reproduce and fix the bug, but also put into the regression test library.

Gordan