[Gluster-devel] Performance Translators' Stability and Usefulness - Regression test outline

Mickey Mazarick mic at digitaltadpole.com
Tue Jul 7 11:09:51 UTC 2009

What kind of requirements does everyone see as necessary for a
regression test system?
Ultimately the best testing system would use the tracing translator and
be able to run tests and generate traces for any problems that occurs,
giving us something very concrete to provide the developers. That's a
few steps ahead however, initially we should start to outline some must
haves in terms of how a test setup is run. obviously we want something
we can run for many hours or days to test longterm stability, and it
would be nice if there was some central way to spin up new clients to
test reliability under a load.

For basic file operation tests I use the below:
An initial look would be to use some tools like
http://www.ntfs-3g.org/pjd-fstest.html
I've seen it mentioned before but it's a good start to test anything
posix. Here's a simple script that will download and build it if it's
missing, and run a test on a given mount point.

#!/bin/bash
if [ "$#" -lt 1 ]
then
  echo "usage: $0 gluster_mount"