[Gluster-devel] Performance Translators' Stability and Usefulness

Geoff Kassel gkassel at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jul 7 09:32:30 UTC 2009

Hi Anand,
   If you look back through the list archives, no one other than me replied to
the original QA thread where I first posted my patches. Nor to the Savannah
patch tracker thread where I also posted my patches. (Interesting how those
trackers have been disabled now...)

   It took me pressing the issue after discovering yet another bug that we
even started talking about my patches. So yes, my patches were effectively
ignored.

   At the time, you did mention that the code the patches were to be applied
against was being reworked, in addition to your comments about my code
comments.

   I explained the comments as being necessary to avoid the automated tool
flagging potential issues again on reuse of that tool - other comments for
future QA work. There was no follow up on that from you, nor suggestion on
how I might improve these comments to your standards.

   I continued to supply patches in the Savannah tracker against the latest
stable 1.3 branch - which included some refactoring for your reworked code,
IIRC - for some time after that discussion. All of my patches were in sync
with the code from publically available 1.3 branch repository within days of
a new TLA patchset.

   None of these were adopted either.

   I simply ran out of spare time to maintain this patchset, and I got tired
of pressing an issue (QA) that you and the dev team clearly weren't
interested in.

   I don't have the kind of spare time needed to do the sort of in-depth
re-audit your code from scratch (as would be needed) in the manner that I did
back then. So I can't meet your request at this time, sorry.

   As I've suggested elsewhere, now that you apparently have the resources for
a stand-alone QA team - this team might want to at least use the tools I've
used to generate these patches - RATS and FlawFinder.

   That way you can generate the kind of QA work I was producing with the kind
of comment style you prefer.

   The only way I can conceive of being able to help now is in patching
individual issues. However, I can really only feasibly do that with my time
constraints if I've got regression tests to make sure I'm not inadvertently
breaking other functionality.

   Hence my continued requests for these.

Geoff.