[Gluster-devel] glusterfs and memcached

Shehjar Tikoo shehjart at gluster.com
Thu Jul 2 06:11:43 UTC 2009

Снежана Бекова wrote:
> Hello, I found this very interesting publucation about achieving high
>  performance with memcached and glusterfs:
> http://nowlab.cse.ohio-state.edu/publications/conf-papers/2008/noronha-icpp08.pdf
>

> Anybody runnig this? Info on how to achive such config with
> memcached?

Thanks for bringing it up.
Yes, we're aware of this work but we feel that they've taken a
long-winded approach to provide caching of file attributes and data by
using mem-cached. It is an interesting approach but the combination of
io-cache, read-ahead and write-behind, while being far far simpler in
design and usage, already handles a large number of
use cases envisioned by the authors.

Of course, if you're considering using memcached-based approach, we'd
be interested in hearing about your experience with glusterfs+memcached
combo.

Regards
Shehjar