[Gluster-devel] Blocking client feature request

Anand Avati avati at zresearch.com
Sat Jan 17 01:28:26 UTC 2009

>   What I've realized is that a blocking GlusterFS client would solve this
> negative visibility problem for me while I look again at the crash issues.
> (I've just upgraded to the latest 1.4/2.0 TLA, so my experiences are relevant
> to the majority again. Yes, I'm still getting crashes.)

Do you have logs/cores which can help us?

>   That way, I'd just have to restart the GlusterFS daemon(s), and my running
> services would block, but not have to be restarted. My clients would see a
> lack of responsiveness for up to 20 seconds, not a five to ten minute outage.
>
>   Is there any possibility of this feature being added to GlusterFS?

Given the fact that there is a reasonably high demand for it, I think
we should be adding this support as an option in our protocol. There
are a few challenges with the current design (like having stateful fd)
which will need some trickery to accommodate them across reconnects.
So it may not be implemented immediately, but maybe in 2.1.x or 2.2.x.

avati