[Gluster-devel] xfs, fstab, glusterfs

At Work admin at matphot.com
Thu Jan 15 11:00:28 UTC 2009

Dear All,

I've made much progress on the mounting side of things - glusterfs is
now clustering perfectly my Debian sub-servers in my "head" Leopard
xServe - but I was still unable to write to the mounted filesystem
without errors/refusals, and I only recently understood why: my xServe
is unable to read/write to an xfs filesystem that is mounted into the
local userspace through macfuse.

I know that without macFuse on a Leopard server, glusterfs has "server-
only" capabilities. I also read that it is possible to re-export a
glusterfs cluster through nfs, which leopard is able to understand -
but I read that (a non-kernel) Fuse is necessary to do this, yet if
the filesystem is first mounted into the local userspace, Leopard
won't be able to read it! Catch-22...

For the time being, the only solution I see is to redo my network
architecture to make one of the Debian sub-servers the nfs exporter
(instead of having the Debian servers clustered and mounted in the
Leopard head server) - yet is it possible that a unique Debian server
be both a client and server? This way I could have a Debian server
cluster and NFS-export two other debian servers, at the same time as
being part of another cluster mounted on another Debian server. Does
this sound feasable?

Thanks, best,

Josef.