[Gluster-devel] xfs, fstab, glusterfs

admin at matphot.com admin at matphot.com
Fri Jan 2 06:55:59 UTC 2009

Dear All,

I'm afraid I'm a bit new to this. I hope I'm not missing the obvious,
but in all the documentation I can't seem to find a clear answer to my
problem.

I have a head server (Leopard X serve) that will be used as a mount
point for four sub-servers (Debian Etch) that each have two SATA RAID
5 blocks running an XFS filesystem.

Before I switched to glusterfs, I would do an NFS export (/etc/
exports) of the XFS filesystem mounted in /etc/fstab. I have since
cancelled (commented out) the NFS export, but I am not quite sure what
to do about the fstab: Should I mount the drives using this file, then
export the filesystem using glusterfs? Or should it be glusterfs doing
the mounting? What role does FUSE have in the mount operation?

The RAID drives are at /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc, and their filesystems
are accessible at /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdc1 - should I be mounting these
with glusterfs (instead of mounting them to a folder in the server
root as I am doing presently)?

With my present configuration, all works correctly if I mount the raid
drives individually, yet when I mirror two drives across two servers
using AFS things get wonky - I can upload files to a folder (and see
that they have indeed been replicated to both drives), yet I am unable
to create a new folder (it becomes an inaccessible icon).

Thank you for any advice.

Best,

J.M. Schomburg.