[Gluster-devel] io-cache exceeding cache-size value

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Mon Feb 23 23:07:00 UTC 2009

Dan Parsons wrote:
> I'm having an issue with glusterfs exceeding its cache-size value. Right
> now I have it set to 4000MB and I've seen it climb as high as 4800MB. If
> I set it to 5000, I've seen it go as high as 6000MB. This is a problem
> because it causes me to set the value very low so that my apps don't get
> pushed into swap. Is there any way to fix this? To get it to stick to
> the limit I set and not exceed?

It's possible you are running into the same memory leak that I'm seeing,
and I'm not using io-cache or any other performance translators at all.
With rootfs on Gluster, doing a kernel compile (kernel source tree being
on NFS, so this won't be contributing to the bloat, hopefully) makes the
glusterfsd bloat by about 80MB per pass, and never frees it.

Gordan