[Gluster-devel] File Clobbering Bug

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Tue Feb 17 01:45:06 UTC 2009

I've done a bit more digging on this one and there is some extra
weirdness happening. If a directory gets deleted via samba on the
client, when the other server rejoins the file/directory can be seen
with permissions 000. But the file ends up still being there. It also
seems to end up being owned as root.

This sounds very suspiciously similar to the weirdness I was seeing with
the ~/.openoffice directory. It looks like something doesn't replicate
correctly when a server node rejoins. In this particular case, files
were moved or deleted, but they deletes don't get healed correctly.

Trawling back through the logs, I can actually see entries from a few
days ago:

2009-01-28 14:15:56 W
[afr-self-heal-entry.c:471:afr_sh_entry_expunge_rmdir] home: removing
directory /foo/bar on home2
2009-01-28 14:15:56 E
[afr-self-heal-entry.c:449:afr_sh_entry_expunge_remove_cbk] home:
removing /foo/bar on home2 failed (Directory not empty)
2009-01-28 14:15:56 W
[afr-self-heal-entry.c:495:afr_sh_entry_expunge_unlink] home: unlinking
file /foo/bar/baz on home2

This was when the entry in question was being deleted with the server
down (I think it was, at least).

The files end up with 000 permissions owned by user 0 (root) group 0 (root).

When I repair the ownership and permissions on the files and delete
them, this appears in the logs:

E [posix.c:2434:posix_xattrop] home-store: /foo/bar: Numerical result
out of range

In other words, most of the problems I've been reporting recently appear
to be somehow related.

I hope this helps.

Gordan