[Gluster-devel] GlusterFS Process Growing

Anand Avati avati at zresearch.com
Tue Feb 10 14:06:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:
> Is there any reason why the GlusterFS process would grow over time if no
> performance translators are used? I'm seeing the GlusterFS process go from
> about 2.5MB when it starts, up to hundreds of MB. At least initially, the
> growth seems to be between 4 and 8KB/s. After a few days it seems to crash
> out. Again this is the rootfs gluster process, so a bit hard to debug in
> detail seen as it is the rootfs that goes away at this point. Is this a
> memory leak, or is there a more reasonable explanation?

It is possible that it could be because of the large dcache. We have a
recent enhancement which uses a more memory efficient data structure
for inode specific data. You can give it a try and see if it helps
your memory usage (there are other active development happening, so
watch out if it is a production system and wait for rc2).