[Gluster-devel] threads translator best practice

Thomas Conway-Poulsen tconway at adpepper.com
Wed Apr 1 19:29:46 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

I have been pondering about the threads translator and where to put
it, at the top just below the physical disk or at the buttom as the
exporter..

On the server, what happens if all other translators like iocache,
locks and writebehind are threaded - do I have to calculate the memory
consumption times the count of threads, and if so - what about object
uniqueness,  if one thread is cached but the other dont know about it ?

Maybe, there is no need to to use the threads translator just above
protocol level. If the server only has one CPU, but it would still
make sense to use it before the physical disk so that scsi queueing
could be used properly to get the most IOPS out of them..

Any idea in using the threads at both protocol and disk level maybe ?

 From what I have understood, on the server-side - put the iothreads
just after locks. On the client side, just before the protocol...

A lot of questions, maybe you can just supply me with a best practice
when using the non-blocking translator ?

Best regards,

Thomas.