[Gluster-devel] how to debug glusterfs with gdb?

zhouyonghao at ict.ac.cn zhouyonghao at ict.ac.cn
Wed Sep 3 03:00:42 UTC 2008

Hi all ,
  I began to learn how to write a new xlator, so debugging will be a good
start point for me. while debugging glusterfs with --no-daemon in gdb
doesn't work at all, as below is my gdb command and setting,
--------------------------------
[root at cluster6 sbin]# gdb glusterfs
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.3.0.0-1.132.EL4rh)
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"...Using host
libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) run --no-daemon -f
/opt/gluster-testbench/test/ibcache/ibcache/ib-server.vol -L DEBUG
Starting program: /usr/local/glusterfs-1.3.9/sbin/glusterfs --no-daemon -f
/opt/gluster-testbench/test/ibcache/ibcache/ib-server.vol -L DEBUG

Failed to read a valid object file image from memory.

[New Thread -1208637120 (LWP 7791)]
[New Thread -1208640592 (LWP 7794)]
[New Thread -1252299856 (LWP 7795)]
[New Thread -1260692560 (LWP 7796)]
[New Thread -1269085264 (LWP 7797)]
[New Thread -1277477968 (LWP 7798)]

the gdb outputs are just the same on both the server and client side,
maybe there's something wrong, please figure it out, thanks in advance :)

BTW, I saw the line "Failed to read a valid object file image from memory"
above, maybe something wrong here?