[Gluster-devel] GlusterFS hangs/fails: Transport endpoint is not connected

Fred Hucht fred at thp.uni-due.de
Tue Nov 25 16:40:15 UTC 2008

Hi,

I installed and ran mcelog and only found DIMM problems on one node
which is not related to our problems.

I don't think that the problems are related to only a few nodes. The
problems occur on the nodes where the test job runs, and the queue
scheduler always selects different nodes.

Do you think kernel 2.5.25.16 is unstable with respect to GlusterFS?

I am quite sure that it is no network issue.

We use local XFS FS on all nodes and a unify with NUMA as described in
my first mail. The client config for one node is

volume scns
   type protocol/client
   option transport-type tcp/client
   option remote-host 127.0.0.1
   option remote-subvolume scns
end-volume

volume sc0
   type protocol/client
   option transport-type tcp/client
   option remote-host 127.0.0.1
   option remote-subvolume sc0
end-volume

[same for sc1 - sc87 ]

volume scratch
   type cluster/unify
   subvolumes sc0 sc1 sc2 sc3 sc4 sc5 sc6 sc7 sc8 sc9 sc10 sc11 sc12
sc13 sc14 sc15 sc16 sc17 sc18 sc19 sc20 sc21 sc22 sc23 sc24 sc25 sc26
sc27 sc28 sc29 sc30 sc31 sc32 sc33 sc34 sc35 sc36 sc37 sc38 sc39 sc40
sc41 sc42 sc43 sc44 sc45 sc46 sc47 sc48 sc49 sc50 sc51 sc52 sc53 sc54
sc55 sc56 sc57 sc58 sc59 sc60 sc61 sc62 sc63 sc64 sc65 sc67 sc68 sc69
sc70 sc71 sc72 sc73 sc74 sc75 sc76 sc77 sc78 sc79 sc80 sc81 sc82 sc83
sc84 sc85 sc86 sc87
   option namespace scns
   option scheduler nufa
   option nufa.limits.min-free-disk 15
   option nufa.refresh-interval 10
   option nufa.local-volume-name sc0
end-volume

volume scratch-io-threads
   type performance/io-threads
   option thread-count 4
   subvolumes scratch
end-volume

volume scratch-write-behind
   type performance/write-behind
   option aggregate-size 128kB
   option flush-behind off
   subvolumes scratch-io-threads
end-volume

volume scratch-read-ahead
   type performance/read-ahead
   option page-size 128kB # unit in bytes
   option page-count 2    # cache per file  = (page-count x page-size)
   subvolumes scratch-write-behind
end-volume

volume scratch-io-cache
   type performance/io-cache
   option cache-size 64MB
   option page-size 512kB
   subvolumes scratch-read-ahead
end-volume

Regards,

      Fred

On 25.11.2008, at 15:27, Joe Landman wrote:
> Fred Hucht wrote:
>> Hi,
>> crawling through all /var/log/messages, I found on one of the
>> failing nodes (node68)
>
> Does your setup use local disk?  Is it possible that the backing
> store is failing?
>
> If you run
>
> 	mcelog > /tmp/mce.log 2>&1
>
> on the failing node, do you get any output in /tmp/mce.log ?
>
> My current thoughts in no particular order are
>
> hardware based: failures always concentrated on a few specific nodes
> (always repeatable only on those nodes)
>
> a) failing local hard drive:  backing store failing *could* impact
> the file system, and you would see this as NFS working on a remote
> FS while failing on an FS in part storing locally.
>
> b) network issue:  possibly a bad driver/flaky port/overloaded
> switch backplane.  This is IMO less likely, as NFS works.  Could you
> post output of "ifconfig" so we can look for error indicators in the
> port state?
>
> Software based:
>
> c) fuse bugs:  I have run into a few in the past, and they have
> caused errors like this.  But umount/mount rarely fixes a hung fuse
> process, so this is, again, IMO, less likely.
>
> d) GlusterFS bugs:  I think the devels would recognize it if it were
> one.  I doubt this at this moment.
>
> e) kernel bug:  We are using 2.6.27.5 right now, about to update to .
> 7 due to some Cert advisories.  We have had (stability) issues with
> kernels from 2.6.24 to 2.6.26.x (x low numbers) under intense
> loads.  It wouldn't surprise me if what you are observing is
> actually just a symptom of a real problem somewhere else in the
> kernel.  That the state gets resolved when you umount/mount suggests
> that this could be the case.
>
> Joe
>

> --
> Joseph Landman, Ph.D
> Founder and CEO
> Scalable Informatics LLC,
> email: landman at scalableinformatics.com
> web  : http://www.scalableinformatics.com
>       http://jackrabbit.scalableinformatics.com
> phone: +1 734 786 8423 x121
> fax  : +1 866 888 3112
> cell : +1 734 612 4615

Dr. Fred Hucht <fred at thp.Uni-DuE.de>
Institute for Theoretical Physics
University of Duisburg-Essen, 47048 Duisburg, Germany