[Gluster-devel] glusterfs with vservers

Daniel van Ham Colchete daniel.colchete at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 13:47:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Martin Fick <mogulguy at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get glusterfs to work with vservers and I have not yet been
> successful.
>
> What I would like to do is export a share from a glusterfs daemon running
> inside a vserver guest and mount it using the vserver fstab (or
> fstab.remote) inside another vserver guest on the same host.  This does not
> seem to work, it seems like the mount never reaches the server.  I have
> messed with various other ways (using vserver commands such as vnamespace
> and secure-mount) to mount it also unsuccessfully.
>
> Has anyone had success with a similar scenario?
>
> I know that some people have succeeded in mounting the share from withing a
> guest itself, but I do not want to do that.  I want to make the share
> available to many guests and I do not want to have to install glusterfs
> inside each guest.  Also there are security implications about this that I
> do not like.
>
> Note: I have successfully mounted the share which is exported from a
> vserver guest on its host.  However, I have noticed that the server thinks
> that the client mounting it is itself, i.e. the logs mention the client by
> the server IP.  Is there a way to force the glusterfs mount to come from a
> specific IP when a machine potentially has several IPs?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Martin
>
> I am using glusterfs--mainline--2.5--patch-797 in all cases (clients &
> servers).

Martin,

it doesn't matter if you use virtual servers or not. That's the point with
virtual servers. If the network linking them is working GlusterFS will work
as it would with real servers. Try to separate where the problem is first.
If you think the problem is at GlusterFS please provide more details. What
are your config files? What are you doing? What commands are you using? What
are you seeing? Otherwise there is no way one can guess what you are doing
wrong...

Best regards,
Daniel