[Gluster-devel] Migration from Unify to DHT

NovA av.nova at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 13:42:33 UTC 2008

Hello everybody!

As 1.4 release is approaching I'm preparing migration from 1.3. I hope
that DHT could increase performance a lot for our 24-nodes computing
cluster. Now unify really slows down file IO if there are hundreds of
files in a dir...
What is the simplest way for switching from unify to DHT? As I
understand, ideally one should recreate glusterfs volumes from scratch
to initialize new DHT file scheduling. But it could be problematic in
our case... What will happen if I start new glusterFS with DHT over
existing backends with thousands of files distributed by unify? Can it
reschedule files during self-healing process or something like that?
Or will it just stuck or even corrupt data?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Best regards,
  Andrey