[Gluster-devel] Excessive memory usage with 1.3.12

rhubbell rhubbell at ihubbell.com
Thu Nov 6 05:08:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 09:51 +0530, Anand Avati wrote:

>         I wish I could experience a bug. (^;
>         I'm unable to even build the software on Solaris 10 Sparc.
>
> We just had commits yesterday in the 1.4.x branch to fix build issues
> on Solaris. Though that thread has not been responded actively on the
> mailing list, the issue sure is being addressed. Lack of a solaris
> machine in our labs is partially the reason for the delay.

Thanks for the details.  I'll figure out how to grab a source snapshot.

What would be the minimum solaris machine required to meet the need?

>         I've seen a lot of software in production environments but
>         when
>         a product has issues just compiling we usually don't put it on
>         our short-list of potential solutions.
>
>         I had some hope when I first found gluster and saw there was
>         activity.  But it seems with the commercial leaning of the
>         product
>         that priorities are shifting. I've seen it in lots of other
>         projects. Just an observation, not making a morality or ethic
>         call.
>
> As a member of the development team, I would like to assure you that
> there has been no commercial leaning of the product. GlusterFS has
> been a GPL (v3) project and will continue to remain so. We value the
> feedback and bug reports from the community just as much as from
> anybody else, if not more. Lot of the features and decisions already
> have been driven by the community requirements.

Thanks avati, glad to hear this.  I was pleasantly surprised when I
found gluster recently. But as with anything very skeptical if the
claims match the actual experience with the product.  This applies to
commercial-closed-source as well as opensource.
The individual use case testimonials are good too:
http://gluster.org/docs/index.php/Who's_using_GlusterFS