[Gluster-devel] option read-subvolume

Josh Bowers jbowers at digarc.com
Fri May 30 16:19:54 UTC 2008

I am trying to setup AFR across two nodes with the clients on the same boxes as the
servers. Currently, I am using "AFR single process" to do this and everything seems
to work.

However, I think I'm missing something because the performance seems to be poor.

I was under the impression that "option read-subvolume" option would read from the
local filesystem if the "type storage/posix" was specified for the subvolume. It
seems to have no affect whether or not this option is used.

# glusterfs -V
glusterfs 1.3.9 built on May 28 2008 11:01:17
Repository revision: glusterfs--mainline--2.5--patch-770

# uname -a
Linux webnode1 2.6.24-gentoo-r7 #1 SMP Tue May 6 12:38:44 EDT 2008 x86_64 Intel(R)
Xeon(R) CPU X3210 @ 2.13GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

#### NODE 1 ####
volume client1
       type storage/posix
       option directory /data/gluster/acalog/
end-volume

volume client2
       type protocol/client
       option transport-type tcp/client
       option remote-host 10.42.0.31
       option remote-subvolume client2
       option transport-timeout 10
end-volume

volume webroot
       type cluster/afr
       option read-subvolume client1
       subvolumes client1 client2
end-volume

volume ioc
   type performance/io-cache
   option cache-size 64MB
   option page-size 1MB
   option force-revalidate-timeout 30
   subvolumes webroot
end-volume

volume server
       type protocol/server
       option transport-type tcp/server
       option client-volume-filename /etc/glusterfs/glusterfs-client.vol
       subvolumes  webroot client1
       option auth.ip.webroot.allow *
       option auth.ip.client1.allow *
end-volume

#### NODE 2 ####

volume client1
       type protocol/client
       option transport-type tcp/client
       option remote-host 10.42.0.30
       option remote-subvolume client1
       option transport-timeout 10
end-volume

volume client2
       type storage/posix
       option directory /data/gluster/acalog/
end-volume

volume webroot
       type cluster/afr
       option read-subvolume client2
       subvolumes client1 client2
end-volume

volume ioc
   type performance/io-cache
   option cache-size 64MB
   option page-size 1MB
   option force-revalidate-timeout 30
   option force-atime-update off
   subvolumes webroot
end-volume

volume server
       type protocol/server
       option transport-type tcp/server
       option client-volume-filename /etc/glusterfs/glusterfs-client.vol
       subvolumes  webroot client2
       option auth.ip.webroot.allow *
       option auth.ip.client2.allow *
end-volume

--
Josh Bowers
System Administrator - Digital Architecture