[Gluster-devel] FIVE QUESTINS

Jordan Mendler jmendler at ucla.edu
Mon May 19 03:10:45 UTC 2008

>   How to make GlusterFS running in Windows enviroment?

I know you can have a *NIX glusterfs and reexport Samba on top of it for
Windows interaction. Not sure if there is another way.

>   Is there a self-heal mechanism in glusterfs, and how much time is needed
> to countdown, so self-heal begin?

I believe this is being worked on, but still limited to running scripts that
do things like find.

  And most important! I want to make use of the some old machines. So I
> decided to make a cluster of them. Some machines have relly slow disks
> (4200rpm) and some are faster (10000rpm). Does GlusterFS support big
> diferences between disk speeds!? Can it make an agregate I/O performance of
> such system.

I do not see why this would be an issue. You will probably want to take this
into account for load balancing reasons when setting up the scheduler. I
also think the ALU scheduler has an option to weight I/O based on disk
speed.