[Gluster-devel] Extended Attributes

Paul Arch paul at esidium.com.au
Tue May 13 00:37:30 UTC 2008

<snip>

>Thanks again.
>
>Jordan
>
>On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 3:38 PM, Amar S. Tumballi <amar at zresearch.com>
>wrote:

<snip>

Hi Jordan,

 Also FYI we are running Gluster on FreeBSD 6.1, and FreeBSD 7.0RC1 (
Servers only ).  7.0RC1 has ZFS running on backend store, 6.1 is UFS.

 System has ~ 10 million files over maybe 7Tb, running a simple unify,
client is Linux with namespace Linux also.

 Generally, I would say things are 99.5% good, system seems to be holding
together, I believe the only issues I have had related to attempting to
bring in data on the servers( without gluster ) and then unify them.  After
that, anything written to the cluster seems very stable.  In between I did
do a lot of chopping/changing on namespace so I am sure that didn't help.

  I can't remember specifically if the client worked under freebsd ( I am
quite sure it ended up working ), but as Amar has suggested AFR and stripe
won't work, looks like because of the attributes.

 The only real gotcha I got, and this will relate to any unify/cluster setup
I assume, is to make sure the namespace filesystem can support the number of
files you have ( ie FREE INODES )  I got unstuck with this a couple of
times, hence the reason for chopping/changing namespace.  In the end I
created a 10gb XFS loopback image under linux - but even now I just checked
and I am nearly out of inodes again ! But at least I can easily resize it.

 Cheers

 Paul Arch