[Gluster-devel] Extended Attributes

Jordan Mendler jmendler at ucla.edu
Mon May 12 22:29:56 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Can someone please give me a run down of when extended attriubutes are
needed in the underlying filesystem accessed by gluster?

1) Is it at all needed for unify without AFR and/or stripe?
2) For AFR and stripe, are they needed for both the namespace and the
storage filesystems, or only for one of the two?
3) In what other scenarios are extended attributes needed?

I am trying to see if there is a way to use gluster with FreeBSD/ZFS given
that extended attributes are not yet supported. Depending on where the xattr
are actually needed I was thinking to perhaps split off components, since I
only care about ZFS for data storage volume.

Thanks,
Jordan