[Gluster-devel] Crawling and indexing hardware

Marcus Herou marcus.herou at tailsweep.com
Sun May 11 11:12:12 UTC 2008

Hi

I don't know if you guys are familiar with JGroups but if something like
that exists for c/c++ I think it could be something worth looking at.

Quick about the part I like with JGroups and often use when I'm building
clustered stuff without the master/slave[s] model. Whenever a new member
joins a voting process starts to identify all members and to see if the new
member should deem itself as coordinator, in fact the first to join becomes
coordinator. If a coordinator leaves then the second to join becomes coord.
This project is very stable and have helped me out building clustered caches
with distributed locks, striped [and or] raided data across servers etc.

Yet another nice thing is that the config part becomes minimal since the
servers do not need to know about each other in advance. So you can
basically just add another server and tell it to join "clusterX" and then
you can write code which do smart stuff on the "join" / "leave" events.

I guess Heartbeat is such a project if I'm not totally mistaken, at least
parts of it work like this right ?

But introducing a component like this elevates complexity of course and can
make the rest a little unstable. Come to think about it... Is 1.4 something
like this perhaps ?

Kindly

//Marcus