[Gluster-devel] Client side AFR race conditions?

gordan at bobich.net gordan at bobich.net
Wed May 7 13:14:36 UTC 2008

On Wed, 7 May 2008, Anand Avati wrote:

>> The only way I see to ensure data integrity is to have some arbiter vet
>>> all writes.  You can try to make that arbiter redundant, but good luck
>>> making it actually distributed.
>>>

>> I've seen the distributed arbiter done in proprietary software, so it
>> must be possible.  The design is pretty clear to me, but I have no idea
>> where to start integrating the idea into glusterfs, though gluster's the
>> closest thing to what I need that I've seen in open source.
>
> Can you give some details/links? We would be interested to learn about it.

I suspect what was referred to was a system where the locks are notified
to every host, not an actually load sharing system. DLM (RHCS/GFS) does
it by multicasting, presumably with acknowledgements being returned from
each connected node. I've not looked at the DLM protocol in great detail,
so I don't know what the details are.

Gordan