[Gluster-devel] Client side AFR race conditions?

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Tue May 6 19:09:09 UTC 2008

--- gordan at bobich.net wrote:

> Hmm... So you are saying the problem is writing
> without locking?

No, others are saying that. :)  I am saying that
writing without locking should be supported (after all
how do I lock from a script, certainly writing to
glusterfs from a script should be supported?) and
it can cause split brain if using AFR.

> Should writing to a file not involve
> an implicit lock, regardles of flock?

While that might solve it, it certainly would be a
performance hit.  At this point I would welcome even
the slow locking solution.  Since it seems pretty easy
to cause this problem, I would not trust AFR to say a
mail spool without some way of preventing this.

-Martin