[Gluster-devel] Re: Uh, another gotcha with AFR, pre-existingdata specific

gordan at bobich.net gordan at bobich.net
Tue May 6 13:40:47 UTC 2008

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Christopher Hawkins wrote:

> Thanks, I was wondering about that. Below I suggested using glusterfs to do
> the copy and forgetting about an external rsync, but I didn't know how that
> would perform compared to an rsync. Looks like your data confirms that if
> the xattrs get set correctly, allowing gluster to do the copying / creating
> would be a good fast solution.

Indeed, to achieve the copy as fast as possible, I copied all the files to
glusterfs with the 2nd server disconnected (it was effectively local
disk-to-disk copy), then when that was up and running I just brought the
2nd server up and did a recursive find sync. I did it in parallel for all
first level subdirectories (~ 5) to improve bandwidth saturation due to
latencies on smaller files. I was quite pleasantly surprised by how low
the overheads seem to be.

Gordan